Saturday, April 24, 2010

Miles of Sunshine

It's been one of those weeks where nothing really special or out of the ordinary has happened. A few things have been bringing be down, mainly health related. I've been very discouraged lately with my different health problems. I tend to get sick easily, and I seem to be going from one illness to the next. I just got tonsillitis (I'm pretty sure this is the first time in my short, little life), and boy is it painful!
Then it seems that no matter how hard I try to get daily exercise something has been working diligently against me--namely the weather. It always seems to rain at the wrong times. Or if I look at it a different way: the right time to spoil my exercise plans. So I've been a little frustrated and discouraged to say the least.
Then this morning I read something on Mama's blog that made my day. It fit so well to what I was going through and was just the thing I needed to make it through another day. I'm sure you're wondering what the post said, so I'll be including it here for you.

(Jesus:) It's been a tough day and a rough week, as "problems tumbled about you, and heavier came each task," and while you longed to "see joy and beauty," "the day toiled on, gray and bleak." I'm really sorry about that. My heart goes out to you. Into every life, a little rain must fall, and sometimes it seems more like a downpour than a drizzle! You look up and see dark clouds and gloomy skies stretching across the horizon.
But it never lasts forever, you know. In fact, those rain clouds and the rain itself are just a tiny layer of gloom and doom when compared to the millions of miles of sunshine and warmth and light above you, which is only hidden from your sight for a little while. The rain and the clouds will pass, your day will once again be sunny, and the weather forecast or eternity is blue skies and smooth sailing forever!
There's a lot to be thankful for, even in the midst of the storm, and praising Me for the good is what helps to drive the rain and clouds away. You can be thankful that you're so far down that you can only go up, that things can only get better. You can be thankful for the clouds and the rain, the trials and tears that help your spirit to grow.
You can be thankful that you're a mess and can't do anything right, because then you know that only I can do anything good through you. You can be thankful that in you, in your flesh, dwells nothing good, because then there's more room for Me to live and move and work through you (Romans 7:18).
In everything give thanks, even in discouragement and depression! Thank Me for the problems and mistakes, for your shortcomings and failures, for your weaknesses and lacks, and for My love and care and help and mercy and grace and salvation in spite of it all!
Thank Me for everything that you can think of to be thankful for. As you do, the gray skies will clear, the rain will stop, the sun will come out, and the Sun of Righteousness will send warm and comforting rays of peace and hope and strength down upon you, brightening your day and illuminating your way!

2 comments:

Anita said...

This message was so encouraging for me too, as I've had some less than positive things happen in the last few days. but at the same time the Lord is still doing miracles, and I'm looking for the sunshine.
Praying for your health to improve. I know what that's like to be sick all the time, but it will pass. The Lord will do it

Stephie said...

Thanks Anita! I'll pray for you too...