Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Joys of Teaching

Life is full of surprises and changes. I finally have a classroom and I'm so happy! I've been teaching Kiara for two years now and for that whole time we never had a classroom. It was always the living room, the dinning room, or my room, but never a proper room where I could teach. But now my dream has finally come true.
I also have a brand new pupil--Brendan, Kiara's new little brother. He's almost 4 months. I know that's kinda young, but who says he can't learn? So far he can hold his head up, stick his toes in his mouth, and of course make the scariest poop packages you've ever seen! He's so lovely I wish you could see him. He smiles more than any baby I've seen so far.
Things are so different now being with the two of them. Kiara takes being the big sister really well and loves to help. She likes watching when I change his diaper and then throwing the used diaper in the trash. (So funny the things that make little ones happy!) When Brendan wakes up from naps he's usually content to amuse himself by playing games like: "let's see if I can get my toe in my mouth". Reading is the most important subject with Kiara right now and when little man is busy I get more focused time with her.
Now Reading is a whole 'nother subject. I'm so excited and thrilled to see Kiara progress in reading. I always knew tiny guys could learn how to read, that's what I was told. But I never really got to see it till now. Kiara can read! I think I have to say it again because I'm so happy. Kiara can read! It's like a teacher's dream to see the results of what you pour into that little one. There's so much more she can do and I'm so proud of her, reading is just the latest thing right now. We have a little book just for her that I write words and sentences in. Then we draw a picture about what I wrote, and she gets to color it after reading. She's a little shy and whenever I encourage her to read to others she's a little hesitant. But when she gets the courage to read to others a page from her book, she gets all excited and a little proud too. Oh, it's so cute to watch!
In spite of all the little frustrations, times of fatigue, poopy diaper after poopy diaper, or the constant "why,why?", teaching is fun--and I'm proud to be a teacher!

1 comment:

Jessicah said...

God bless you honey! Yes, tha's really fun to pour into those little ones. It's a real joy that your helping to build the next generation. I am proud of you for abiding in His calling! KGFG! ILY!MamaXXX